You are here
Now Hiring Skiwerx Coaches
We are hiring Skiwerx coaches for fall and winter! This is a unique and rewarding opportunity to teach kids skiing skills while they are in their skill development window (9-12 years old). It is often identified as THE most critical skill development window and hence, requires coaches with a high level of coaching or prior racing experience.
MyXC Skiwerx Coach
Group Coach for the Minnesota Youth Ski League’s Skiwerx Program. This program is designed within the framework of the LTAD’s (Long Term Athlete Development): Learn to Train phase. This is our “Ski for Sport” program, where skiers aged 9-14 learn racing fundamentals and ski skills in both classic and skating techniques. Our approach is games-based and fun.
Sessions meet twice per week in the fall (Sept/Oct) and winter (Dec-first week of March) with the general schedule being:
Wirth Park: Monday and Thursday 4:30-6:00pm
Elm Creek Park: Tuesday and Thursday 6:00-7:30pm
Coaches are paid as contractors on a per session basis. Rate is $35-$50 per session based on experience, certification and regularity of shifts.
- Coaches must arrive a minimum of 10 minutes prior to session start time and stay until everyone is picked up (plan on 10 minutes after the session)
- Coach will be given an MyXC jacket; its expected that it be worn during practices for identification purposes
- Coaches must have a high level of energy and be able to accomplish tasks with high-energy kids. Thinking on the fly will be necessary to keep the group engaged
- There is no set curriculum, but rather an outline of structure. Coaches must be able to assess their group and figure out what is best for the group
- New coaches will be paired with experienced coaches
- Some additional event and race support is suggested, but not required
- Coach should be able to identify equipment issues (sizing, etc) for the skiers and alert the Skiwerx Equipment Manager if something is amiss
- Though the program primarily uses skin skis on classic days, coaches should have appropriate kick wax with them and know how to use it
- College or high level racing experience or 4+years as a participant in the Skiwerx program
- Coach must have their own transportation
- We expect coaches to work towards US Ski and Snowboard Coach or Professional Ski Instructors of America (PSIA) Certification after a trial year with our program (certification is reimbursed by MyXC)
- Though we often need subs (sporadic coaches), we are looking for coaches that can coach once per week in the fall and once or twice per week in the winter
- Must be comfortable with a certain amount of chaos
- Must be able to speak in front of a group
- Must be able to work with and cooperate with other coaches
- Must be able to interact and answer parental questions on site
Please email Amy with questions. To apply, send list of experience, one reference and summary of availability.