You are here
MyXC Skiwerx League (for clubs)
Minnesota Youth Ski League, with the help of CXC (Central Cross Country), is networking “Ski for Sport” programs throughout the Central Region, to develop the best possible experience for our young skiers. Ski for Sport programs follow the guidelines of the LTAD (Long Term Athlete Development) stage of “Learn to Train”. This is a critical window for skill development. MyXC and CXC have summarized the youth and junior development stages in the Midwest in this document.
Skiwerx League. What is it?
Skiwerx programs are for active kids approximately age 9-13 (5th-8th grade) that want to learn a variety of training skills (speed, strength, endurance, flexibility) to help them become successful and happy endurance athletes in the future.
The overall objectives of the program are to assist children in the development of a love of the outdoors, a healthy lifestyle, excellent technical skills and a good level of physical fitness within a sport environment. Skiwerx uses the MyXC philophosy of learning through games within an environment of carefully crafted introductory events and curriculum.
* Skills program for ages approximately 9-13 (4th-8th grade)
* Coaches certified or working towards USSA Level 100 Coach Certification
* Typically meets for 1.5 hour sessions twice per week December-early March
* Skiers must rent or own waxable classic and skating skis
* Skiwerx clubs can meet year-round for alternative activities
Skiwerx League. Skier Benefits.
* MyXC Skiwerx Membership
* Allows points eligibility and seeding in the CXC Youth Cup and Skiwerx Series
* Free ticket to the Skiwerx Awards banquet in March
* Skiwerx Series/CXC Youth Cup formatted schedule
* Free racing in the MyXC Team Sprints (Wednesdays in Jan and Feb at Wirth Park)
* Access to Skiwerx Racing Equipment Rental Program (skier up to 110 lbs or 42 boot)
* Priority access to Skiwerx section of the MyXC Exchange (Ski Swap)
* Jessie Diggins MyXC blog
* Online K-counter with incentive awards
* Communication and educational materials about events and opportunities specifically for Skiwerx skiers and their parents.
Skiwerx League. Club Benefits.
* Team Scoring in the CXC Youth Cup, Skiwerx Series and MyXC Festival and Championships
* Regional points database listing with club affiliation on NordicBase
* Online portal on NordicBase for easy group registrations at the database level for most CXC Youth Cup events (no need to re-enter data)
* Skiwerx race hat with your club logo (optional and $10 per skier)
* Access to wholesale pricing for rental fleets on youth racing equipment (selection is highly curated)
* Curriculum outline focusing on racing skills to build confidence in young athletes
* Coach/Parent training on regional youth development system
* CXC Youth Committee representation and voting rights (one CXC Coach member per club)
* Cooperative advertising, including MyXC printed materials (3000 piece fall newsletter across the region) and website, which include exposure to our 2000 current SkiSparks members (Ski for Fun)
* Tips, tricks, strategy, networking and advice
Skiwerx League. How to join.
* Become a MyXC Club (in Minnesota) or CXC Club (Wisconsin and Michigan)
* Register as a Skiwerx League program by emailing Amy email@example.com (enrollment window is June 1 - Oct 31)
* Provide complete rosters for all youth in your winter program by Dec 10th. We will do a few rounds of late additions before major events throughout the season.
* Skiwerx Membership is $25 per skier. It is best to build this into your winter program fee.
* MyXC Club Package $40 per skier: Includes insurance (liability, secondary medical and equipment banks), webpage on our website, online registration (no processing fee), and racing hat with your club logo. You can create your own budget on top of the base fee to pay coaches/facility fees. Clubs that are interested in this program must email Amy by Sept 15th in time to order hats. Or Oct 31 with non-personalized hats.
* Its highly recommended that some race entry fees are built into your program registration fee as well. This GREATLY increases participation from your club members by focusing team efforts on a few select events. At a minimum, MyXC Festival and Championships should be included and ideally, four events over the season to allow for full Skiwerx Series points.
Skiwerx League. Behind the scenes.
Skiwerx is more than programming. It is a comprehensive, integrated and cooperative system that has been built to give young skiers the best start possible, so they can become healthy adults and life-long skiers. Here are a few initiatives we have taken along the way:
* Development of local Skiwerx Series and the regional CXC Youth Cup
* Development of the Skiwerx Race Directors Handbook
* Consulting with dozens of race directors to enhance their youth events
* Sourcing and working with retailers to stock appropriate youth racing equipment and clothing
* Working with manufacturers to increase inventory of youth waxable classic and skating skis
* Testing and developing youth rollerski models
* Working with US Ski and Snowboard Technical Delegates (TDs) to integrate the Skiwerx Race Directors Manual and create a system to recruit and train TDs for youth events
* Development of the MyXC Festival and Championships (formerly Midwest Jr Championships)
* Development of weekly MyXC Team Sprints, which has exposed hundreds of young skiers to this Olympic format (go Jessie!)
* Development of youth sized racing suits, jackets and bibs
* Development of Ski X (ski cross) as part of the Youth Cup and Skiwerx Series (now an international youth and junior format)
* Currently working on parent and skier handbooks and coach/parent education tools