You are here
Wirth Saturday SkiSparks Club
This club is full. Please add your name to the waitlist or register for a different club.
Welcome to the MYSL at THEODORE WIRTH PARK in MINNEAPOLIS!
We are glad that you will join us for the 2022 ski season in the city! The Wirth Club of the MYSL is an all-volunteer club that teaches cross-country skiing to children at Theodore Wirth Park in Minneapolis. Children ages 4-15 and their parents are welcome, as are other volunteers who share in our goal of generating a love for Nordic skiing in youth and having fun in the snow. Our club welcomes families brand new to skiing as well as dedicated ski families. Our goal is to see smiles out on the trails.
Schedule and location:
The Wirth Club is scheduled to meet on eight Saturdays from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., beginning Saturday, January 1st and ending Saturday, February 26th, with March 5 as a backup date. We will take the weekend of the Loppet festival off (Feb 5-6). Hoping you all can enjoy some of the festival!
When we are skiing we will meet in front of the Chalet on Wirth Parkway, which has the largest parking lot. Wirth is one of the few sites in the metro that has snowmaking, so parking can be tight! Please plan on arriving early to find parking and to get your skier dressed, equipped and with their group. Your coach would like to start skiing at 3 p.m. (The parking lot in front of the Trailhead is almost always full. The Chalet can fill up on nice days; if it does, you can park across the Parkway in the overflow lot or just south on the Parkway near the Loppet Trailhead.)
LOPPET WEEKEND, FEBRUARY 5, 2022: We will not meet the Saturday of the Loppet Festival, though we encourage families to participate in the Minne-Loppet and other race events.
MIDWEST JUNIORS, MARCH 2022 (Pending--date and more info coming soon): We encourage SkiSparks families to participate in the Midwest Junior Championships, which will have events and activities appropriate for all ages and levels.
All Wirth SkiSparks/Skiwerx volunteers and skiers need a Minneapolis Parks & Recreation Board (MPRB) All-Access Ski Pass to ski on the trails at Wirth. Our programming uses manufactured and natural snow trails which requires the All-Access Ski Pass. Please see this link for information on getting a pass, including information on discounts: https://mysl.org/node/127886
Due to the Covid Pandemic last year (winter 2021), we did not offer snacks as part of our program. Stay tuned--if anything changes, updates will be posted here.
Register online on the MYSL Web site or contact our club's Skier Coordinator if you have any questions. To ensure appropriate class size for our volunteer coaches. Register early and volunteer to give our kids a great ski season!
Levels 1 through 4 teach the classic technique and Levels 5 and 6 introduce skating. If you are new to MYSL, use the age ranges as a guide when you register; your coach will help place your child in the appropriate level after the first class.
We require that a parent accompany any child not yet in first grade or any beginner in Level 1; this will ensure a great ski experience, and, you will be able to demonstrate how to ski (or how to fall down, as the case may be . . .).
- Coaches: – Coaching is one of the most important and enjoyable ways you can volunteer. While the Club is fortunate to have some of its coaches returning this year, we need more adult coaches to keep our coach-to-skier ratio high. Anyone can coach – you don’t need to be an expert skier to volunteer. MYSL has an excellent week-by-week curriculum, which includes many games on skis. Also, MYSL typically holds training opportunities for new coaches in December. Please contact our Coach Coordinator if you can make this valuable contribution.
- Junior Coaches: - In addition, junior coaches have made a real contribution to the Club. If you are a high school skier and would be willing to serve as a junior coach, we need you!
- Parent skiers: – The Club encourages parents to ski with their kids – they love to see you doing the same thing and being able to show you what they can do! We encourage you to ski with your child's level and to help with games and exercises. You may learn how to coach!
- Activity Leader - Help prepare a fun (crazy?) activity for the kids to enjoy during the class, such as a treasure hunt, face painting, a destination ski to find a special treat, ski acrobatics, or anything you can think of. A fun activity is a great way to teach skiing without the kids knowing they are being taught. We have built snow forts, served S'Mores on the trail, had costumed mascots make appearances. We are always open to new ways to make skiing fun.
- Attendance Keeper-Gather attendance and make sure each level has a coach conveying or submitting attenance each week. This is important for managing our Covid-19 health plan.
- Photographer - We'd like to capture pictures of our skiers for sharing at our end-of-year potluck. Are you tech-savvy and able to organize a slideshow?
1. MYSL has a limited number of rentals and we try to stock small sizes. Please select the rental option if you would like to rent from the club.
2. Wirth Park does rent classic equipment, but the selection can be limited.
3. If you need equipment or have equipment to sell, check out MYSL's ski swap in November.
Each child will be issued an (i.e., white) MYSL bib on the first day and will be required to wear their bib each session. Bibs immediately identify your child as being with our club and help the coaches learn names. Please do your child a favor right now and think of a clever place to stash his or her bib between sessions so you don't forget it--consider leaving them in your car, in your ski bag, or with ski clothing. Please return bibs on the last day.
Looking forward to another great season, and please contact us with questions or feedback, your Wirth Club leaders,
Dan Boody, Sam Knuth, and Andy Martinson
WirthSaturdays@mysl.org, (Club Leaders)