You are here
Wirth Saturday Youth Ski Club
This club is full. Please add your name to the waiting list by filling out this form.
Many other clubs still have openings. Please register for an alternative club. We will contact you if space becomes available and can transfer your membership.
Update (Jan 15, 2021): Due to changes to Loppet events hosted at Theodore Wirth Park, our meeting dates have changed, again. We will have our first meeting Feb 13. We will meet at the Chalet, NOT THE TRAIL HEAD. There are more parking options meeting at the Chalet lot. The lot is located near the intersection of Plymouth Ave and Wirth Parkway. If the lot is full, sometimes the park board clears an overflow lot further north on Wirth Parkway (easily walkable). Otherwise, parking in the residential area off Plymouth Avenue is a great option and again, not a very far walk. Please consider these options. The Trail Head Parking will likely be full on the weekends.
Feb 13th: Meet at the Chalet
Feb 20th: Meet at Wirth Beach (Glenwood Avenue just off Wirth Parkway)
Feb 27th: Meet at the Chalet
March 6: NO MYSL
March 13: Meet at the Chalet
UPDATE (December 13th 2020): As you saw in Amy Cichanowski's message in November following Gov Walz's recommended closures, we are not meeting in January in anticipation that the closures made in December will continue.
We are tentatively scheduling four possible meetings. Feb 6, Feb 13, Feb 20 (meeting at alternative locations in Wirth Park TBD due to a race at the TrailHead) and Feb 27. March 6th is the Junior Regional Championships so we will not meet that week but skiers can register and ski this on their own. March 13 and 20 may be skiable at Wirth and we can use those as potential days depending on enthusiasm and demand! More to come on those dates.
Welcome to the MYSL at THEODORE WIRTH PARK in MINNEAPOLIS!
We are glad that you will join us for the 2020 ski season in the city! The Wirth Club of the MYSL is an all-volunteer club that teaches cross-country skiing to children at Theodore Wirth Park in Minneapolis. Children ages 4-15 and their parents are welcome, as are other volunteers who share in our goal of generating a love for Nordic skiing in youth and having fun in the snow. Our club welcomes families brand new to skiing as well as dedicated ski families. Our goal is to see smiles out on the trails.
Schedule and location:
The Wirth Club is scheduled to meet on eight Saturdays from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., beginning Saturday, January 2 and ending Saturday, March 6. Taking the weekend of the Loppet festival off.
This year will look a bit different than in past years due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Information will be issued as needed to registered families. Please be patient, understanding, and kind as we all find our way safely and respectfully through this together.
When we are skiing we will meet in the stadium area near the Trailhead at on Wirth Parkway. Wirth is one of the few sites in the metro that has snowmaking, so parking can be tight! Please plan on arriving early to find parking and to get your skier dressed, equipped and with their group. Your coach would like to start skiing at 3 p.m. (The parking lot in front of the Trailhead is almost always full. The Chalet can fill up on nice days; if it does, you can park across the Parkway in the overflow lot or just south on the Parkway near the Loppet Trailhead.)
This year we will not have access to any indoor space and we will not have any social time and snacks afterward. It's critical that you help your children navigate this efficiently.
LOPPET WEEKEND, FEBRUARY 6, 2021: We will not meet the Saturday of the Loppet Festival, though we encourage families to participate in the Minne-Loppet and other race events. These events may look different, reduced or cancelled this year due to Covid.
MIDWEST JUNIORS, MARCH 2021 (Pending--date and more info coming soon): In past years, we encouraged SkiSparks families to participate in the Midwest Junior Championships, which will have events and activities appropriate for all ages and levels. This year, the committee hopes to still hold these races for youth, but we will only know how Covid-19 affects this event as we get closer to March.
All Wirth SkiSparks/Skiwerx volunteers and skiers need a Minneapolis Parks & Recreation Board (MPRB) All-Access Ski Pass to ski on the trails at Wirth. Our programming uses manufactured and natural snow trails which requires the All-Access Ski Pass.
Volunteers and SkiSparks/Skiwerx Wirth members qualify for a discount on one adult All-Access Ski Pass. Everyone that uses the MYSL group discount code must be a registered volunteer or skier at a SkiSparks or Skiwerx program at Wirth Park.
The All-Access Ski Pass has two age categories:
Adult (Age 12 and older)
Child (Age 11 and younger)
The discount is only for the initial pass purchased for an adult (skier age 12 and over). There is no discount for additional adult passes or for the child pass. With the discount code all adult passes are $50 and all child passes remain $30.
To purchase the pass please follow these steps:
Go to: https://www.tempotickets.com/event/vvQnid
Enter the discount code: This code was sent to eligible families by email. Contact your club leader if you have questions.
Select the appropriate MPRB All-Access Ski Passes for skiers in your family.
After you have paid for the passes online, print your check-in pass. Bring the check-in pass to The Trailhead (main building at Wirth) where you can pick up the physical pass which needs to be with you when you are skiing.
Register online on the MYSL Web site or contact our club's Skier Coordinator if you have any questions. To ensure appropriate class size for our volunteer coaches. Register early and volunteer to give our kids a great ski season!
Levels 1 through 4 teach the classic technique and Levels 5 and 6 introduce skating. If you are new to MYSL, use the age ranges as a guide when you register; your coach will help place your child in the appropriate level after the first class.
We require that a parent accompany any child not yet in first grade or any beginner in Level 1; this will ensure a great ski experience, and, you will be able to demonstrate how to ski (or how to fall down, as the case may be . . .).
- Coaches: – Coaching is one of the most important and enjoyable ways you can volunteer. While the Club is fortunate to have some of its coaches returning this year, we need more adult coaches to keep our coach-to-skier ratio high. Anyone can coach – you don’t need to be an expert skier to volunteer. MYSL has an excellent week-by-week curriculum, which includes many games on skis. Also, MYSL typically holds training opportunities for new coaches in December. Please contact our Coach Coordinator if you can make this valuable contribution.
- Junior Coaches: - In addition, junior coaches have made a real contribution to the Club. If you are a high school skier and would be willing to serve as a junior coach, we need you!
- Parent skiers: – The Club encourages parents to ski with their kids – they love to see you doing the same thing and being able to show you what they can do! We encourage you to ski with your child's level and to help with games and exercises. You may learn how to coach!
- Activity Leader - Help prepare a fun (crazy?) activity for the kids to enjoy during the class, such as a treasure hunt, face painting, a destination ski to find a special treat, ski acrobatics, or anything you can think of. A fun activity is a great way to teach skiing without the kids knowing they are being taught. We have built snow forts, served S'Mores on the trail, had costumed mascots make appearances. We are always open to new ways to make skiing fun.
- Attendance Keeper-Gather attendance and make sure each level has a coach conveying or submitting attenance each week. This is important for managing our Covid-19 health plan.
- Photographer - We'd like to capture pictures of our skiers for sharing at our end-of-year potluck. Are you tech-savvy and able to organize a slideshow?
1. MYSL has a limited number of rentals and we try to stock small sizes. Please select the rental option if you would like to rent from the club.
2. Wirth Park does rent classic equipment, but the selection can be limited.
3. If you need equipment or have equipment to sell, check out MYSL's ski swap in November.
Each child will be issued an (i.e., white) MYSL bib on the first day and will be required to wear their bib each session. Bibs immediately identify your child as being with our club and help the coaches learn names. Please do your child a favor right now and think of a clever place to stash his or her bib between sessions so you don't forget it--consider leaving them in your car, in your ski bag, or with ski clothing. Please return bibs on the last day.
Looking forward to another great season, and please contact us with questions or feedback, your Wirth Club leaders,
Andy Martinson, firstname.lastname@example.org, (Club Leader)