You are here
Otter Tail County Youth Ski Club
Welcome to the Otter Tail County Youth Ski Club!
This club is all about helping kids learn to love the life-long sport of Nordic skiing. The club is open to 2nd - 6th grade children and their parents.
Schedule and location
For 2019, we will meet the following Sundays from 2:00-3:30pm @ Spidahl's Ski Gaard:
January: 6, 13, 20, 27
February: 3, 10, 17, 24
Please register as soon as possible. Go to the Registration link on the MYSL Home Page and register on-line.
Weather and cancellation policy
- We will not ski if the air temperature is below 4˚ F, or the wind chill is below -15˚ F, or at the leader's discretion.
- Cancellations will be posted on this Web page under "Announcements" and a REMIND text will be sent to parents/families.
- Cancellations will not be rescheduled
- Children should be dressed in layers. A moisture wicking under layer, an insulating layer, and a wind proof layer are typically appropriate.
- Please use your discretion noting your child's activity level and the outside temperature/wind chill.
- Often a winter jacket and snow pants or a snow suit are too warm once the child gets skiing.
Equipment and Trail Passes
- EQUIPMENT RENTAL FEE is $40 per skier.
- There is no extra charge for MYSL participants to ski at Spidahl Ski Gaard during the MYSL season; however, non-MYSL family members are required to pay trail and equipment fees. Families are encouraged to purchase a family trail pass for the season. Contact Spidahl Ski Gaard for more information (218-736-5097).
*If you don't have skis, they are provided for you when you volunteer!
- This club is run by volunteers. The success and affordability of this program comes directly from your contributions of time, energy, and talent.
- By registering for this club, you are committing to the club's success and are agreeing to volunteer.
Please consider coaching as it is our number one need!
Following are some suggested areas of volunteer service:
- Coaching We really need your help! If you plan to volunteer as a coach, please contact me ASAP. You do not need to be an expert skier to coach.
- It would be nice to finalize our coach count so we can be ready for the kids when the snow flies.
- I have instructional information for coaches to use for each session. I would be happy to arrange training opportunities for coaches if desired.
- Assistant Coaching/parent tag-a-longs for all levels.
- Bib Coordinator -
- making color coordinated level cards with skiers name and inserting them in bib pockets
- recording bib number with child's name
- collecting bibs at session's end
- Assistant Ski Equipment Coordinator -
- assist our head coordinator with distributing equipment
- keep track of who has what
- collect rental fees
- collect equipment at the end of the season
- Kilometer Board Recorder
- create a kilometer board (I can assist with this)
- bring the board to each session
- assist skiers with recording their Kilometers (if needed)
- store the board until the next session
- Assist With a Special Ski Day - Prepare a fun activity for all the kids to enjoy during our normal ski time.
- This could be a treasure hunt, costume party with acrobatic ski events, destination ski to a certain spot on the course with treat at the destination, ... really anything.
- Fun activities are a great way to help the kids love skiing.
Jeani Trosvig, Coordinator and volunteer coach, 218.731.8598, email@example.com
Paul Mayer, Coordinator and volunteer coach, 218.393.0152, firstname.lastname@example.org