You are here
Como Youth Ski Club
Welcome to St. Paul Como Park | MYSL Ski Sparks
We've been helping kids learn the life-long sport of Nordic skiing at Como for over 25 years. We welcome kids ages 4 to 14 and their families. The club is a 100% volunteer effort. We look forward to spending another season with happy skiers having fun in the snow!
2019 Schedule and Location
Meet at Como Park Golf Course from 2:00pm - 3:30pm starting Sunday, January 6, 2019. Classes run for 8 weeks, ending February 4, 2019. In the case of no snow at Como we will move to a snowmaking loop. Our backup facility is Elm Creek Park Reserve in Maple Grove, and we will shift our meeting time to 3:30-5:00 at this location. We will give you as much notice as possible when we move to Elm Creek.
Registration for Como SkiSparks is through MYSL. Please go to mysl.org and click "Register Today" to complete the registration for your child and sign up for volunteer opportunities. Our club is expected to fill, so register soon.
We will be offering adult lessons in cooperation with Endurance United! Sessions are designed for new skiers. Join the experienced EU staff for five sessions to quickly improve your skiing. At the end of the 5 sessions, we invite you to ski along with your kids in their group and support the lead coaches. Each session will have a coach dedicated to skate skiing and classic skiing. These sessions take place at the same place and time the kids are skiing (what could be more convenience than that?). Register through Endurance United for adult lessons.
Skill levels are selected or edited in the Household Information section of the club membership process.
MYSL’s curriculum teaches skiing with games using an orderly progression through six distinct levels, Levels 1 through 6. If you are new to MYSL, please use the age guide when you register; your coach can provide additional guidance after the first class.
We require that a parent accompany any child not yet in first grade or any beginner in Level 1; this will ensure a great ski experience, and, you will be able to demonstrate how to ski or how to fall down!
The level, age, and coach/skier ratios will take precedence over buddy requests.
Important to Know
- Parking – parking can be a challenge at Como Ski Chalet, so be sure to plan your trip and arrive with enough time to grab bibs. Coaches start skiing at 2pm, promptly. Alternate parking is across the street, if needed. (Como Park Map)
- Pick up bibs and level cards – when you arrive the first time, please assist your children as they grab their bib and level-card in the upstairs of the Como Ski Chalet.
- Meet your coaches outside – to the left of the Como Ski Chalet entrance - on the Como golf course! Bibs and level-signs will guide you to the right spot/coach. We’ll plan on letting you keep the bibs (we’ll collect your level-card in your bib - at the end of class), just like last year, so getting ready the following weeks will be easier.
- Volunteers and Coaches – will be wearing MYSL coach bibs in the level color they coach, with coach names on hats - so you can tell us apart in our snow gear.
- Weather – If the forecast is very cold or cold with wind chill (-10 or -15), we’ll cancel. Cancellations will be noted on this web page and via email to all members by 8am Sunday. If we are lacking snow, plans to meet will be shared via email and Facebook and Twitter: @comomysl. Como does not have snow-making capability.
- The Como Ski Chalet will have classic skis available to rent. This is not a service provided by Como MYSL - arrangements must be made directly with the Como Ski Chalet. Como Ski Chalet does not allow skis to be taken off premises.
- MYSL Ski Swap: Used skis are a great value, when kids grow fast. MYSL sponsors a ski swap where you can sell your skis and buy used skis. Check the MYSL Website for details, date TBD.
- Joes Sporting Goods, REI - both the Bloomington and Roseville locations rent classic skis for kids.
- Dress in layers - polypropylene or lightweight wool will keep the moisture off the skin, wear a number of insulating layers for warmth that can be shed as games and skiers heat up. Add something non-absorbent on the outside to cut the wind and minimize sticking snow when we're rolling around.
- MYSL Shop - Check out the cool gear here too!
- Bring a water bottle - it it important to stay hydrated when you are skiing!!
We communicate with Como MYSL families via email, text messaging and Facebook. We need valid emails for all. When you register please include a contact e-mail address and phone number.
Messages will be sent:
- If we cancel because of weather or because the Chalet is closed.
- If we have to move to another MYSL location (due to snow conditions).
- Clarifying questions we may have about your registration.
- Providing updates with news and information about the Como ski club.
Please contact us with questions or feedback at email@example.com.