You are here
Cleary Lake Youth Ski Club
We are looking forward to the 2021 Cleary Lake MYSL ski season. I know we have a great group of kids again this year, some familiar faces and some new friends as well! We are a fun group of all ages and abilities that love to cross country ski and enjoy teaching others to cross country skiing!
The club will meet Sundays from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. for eight weeks starting on January 3, 2021 ending February 21, 2021.
- The Cleary Lake SkiSparks club will be capped at 60 skiers.
- The club will be divided into small groups of 10-20 skiers and employ staggered starts.
- There will be no snack time.
- No indoor group time. There will be no gathering in the chalet before or after skiing.
- Face coverings are required at check-in, check-out, and anytime 6’ of social distancing is not easily maintained. A ski buff is a face covering.
- Skiers and volunteers will need to pass a health screening at club check-in each week.
- Level 1 skiers (4&5 year olds) must have a caregiver with them at all times. The caregiver can be on or off skis. The caregiver must be on skis if skiing the trails.
- All adults skiing with the group must be registered volunteers (including caregivers of level 1 skiers).
- Further information:
The MYSL curriculum teaches skiing with games using an orderly progression through six distinct levels, Levels 1 through 6. Most skiers (especially at the lower levels) WILL spend two years in each level, e.g., a beginning skier will spend two years in Level 1 at ages 5 and 6. To progress to the next level, a skier must reach specific goals at each level. The curriculum is not designed so that a skier spends only one year in each level. Please familiarize yourself with these levels and goals (posted on the MYSL site) so that you can be aware of what your skier is working on and so that you can offer encouragement. Your coach can always explain the curriculum and goals to you and offer a recommendation for a suitable level.
Weather and cancellation policy
The Club will cancel skiing if the temperature forecast is below 0 degrees F or if the wind chill is forecasted to be less than -10 degrees F. The Club may also cancel or change locations if snow conditions are poor. A cancellation or location change announcement will always be sent by e-mail (to the address provided when you register) 24 hours in advance.
Make sure your child is dressed appropriately for the weather conditions. For an active sport like cross country skiing, dress in layers. Dress in several thin or medium insulating layers and a wind shell rather than a heavy winter coat.
Classic ski rental equipment is available from Cleary for $8 each time for children under 12, and $12 for those 12 years of age and up plus sales tax. Rental includes poles, boots and wax-less skis for a 4 hour time period.
Some skate equipment rentals are also available, but sizes are more limited.
Please arrive at the Chalet early to be fitted for equipment. A face mask must be worn in the chalet to rent equipment.
This is a volunteer organization, and we welcome your assistance.
We need fill-in coaches when coaches are absent. You do not need to be an expert skier; just need to know the fundamentals of skiing and want to have fun. A curriculum will be provided.
We encourage all parents to bring their skis along and join the fun, either by assisting a group or skiing around at Cleary.
If you are parent of a 4 or 5 year old skier in First Steppers (Level 1), you must accompany your skier on the snow at all times (either on or off skis).
Three Rivers Park Ski Pass
Three Rivers Ski passes apply to skiers ages 12 and older. Details at http://www.threeriversparks.org/activities/passes/cross-country-skiing.aspx